[Mailman-Developers] Re: bin/arch: a bug or not?

David Champion dgc@uchicago.edu
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 11:39:58 -0500

* On 2002.08.13, in <20020813163359.GE12738@ferrara.linux.it>,
*	"Simone Piunno" <pioppo@ferrara.linux.it> wrote:

> it could be a mitigating factor for people forced to rebuild the
> archive, becase having the old messages in place you can still serve
> people coming through external search engines (at the cost of wasting
> disk space).
> I think this behaviour could be documented as a feature :)

It could also be a nasty turn for people accustomed to the old behavior,
and IIRC Barry's pretty averse to messing with Pipermail any further.
(If I'm not mistaken -- without digging into the code -- the real-time
updates to the archives depend on arch's behaving this way.)

It seems that you could make a copy of arch, though, and adjust some
of the paths imported from paths.py so that the rebuilt html archive
directory coexists with the old one, and can be easily swapped when arch
is done.

--
 -D.			Fresh fruit enriches everyone.  Takes the thirst
 Sun Project, APC/UCCO	out of everyday time.  A pure whiff of oxygen,