[Mailman-Developers] Maildir delivery

Barry A. Warsaw barry@python.org
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 11:50:03 -0400

    >> So there two use-cases: - You have one machine to process all
    >> your list traffic.  You'd want a single maildir so that one
    >> MaildirRunner can handle everything.

    CVR> Would this be another use of multiple maildirs?

    CVR> You have a list server where some lists get priority. They
    CVR> need to be handled first (immediately?) if they get
    CVR> postings. Others are lower priority, and should be handled
    CVR> when nothing "more important" needs to be done. By splitting
    CVR> into maildirs, you can assign priorities to things, and
    CVR> instead of FIFOing stuff, work down a priority list
    CVR> instead....

Yes, that's another use case.  The current way qrunners get priority
is by adjusting their snooze time (the sleep time between iterations
their their processing loop).  You could give a higher snooze time to
lower priority MaildirRunners.

Eventually (read: post 2.1) we might want to tease out a more
elaborate scheduling mechanism.  E.g. you'd like to be able to process
low priority queues if the higher priority queues are idle.

Here's a plan: I will check in the existing code and label it
experimental for 2.1.  It won't have an easy way to configure multiple
maildirs, but I think enough of the basic code is in place that folks
can play with it, and the more Pythonically oriented developers could
adapt it to a multiple maildir architecture.

-Barry