[Mailman-Developers] [ mailman-Bugs-589913 ] Rejected mail not bounced back to poster

noreply@sourceforge.net noreply@sourceforge.net
Wed, 07 Aug 2002 11:58:54 -0700

Bugs item #589913, was opened at 2002-08-01 22:12
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100103&aid=589913&group_id=103

Category: bounce detection
Group: 2.0.x

Initial Comment:
Howdy.  First off, forgive me if "bounce detection" isn't
the right category for this -- it was the closest thing I
could find.

Also, since I'm not a Mailman administrator, I'm unaware
whether this might be a configuration problem rather
than a bug, but the list admin said it was the latter, so
I'm reporting it as such.

The version reported in X-Mailman-Version is "2.0.9-
sf.net".

The problem is that when messages are rejected, the
text of the message isn't bounced back to the poster.
This means that for people like me, who don't save
copies of _all_ outgoing mail (I especially don't for
mailing list posts, since I expect to get a copy from the
list), the message has to be re-composed from memory
when it's re-posted (with a fix for whatever caused it to
be rejected).

The text of the original email should ALWAYS be
included in bounce/reject messages.  This is just
standard established email system behavior, going back
decades.

In my particular case, I got a "Your message to <list>
awaits moderator approval" message, saying that
the "Message has a suspicious header", and then
a "Request to mailing list <list> rejected", explaining
that the problem was the "Content-Type:
multipart/mixed".  I had done a MIME-based forward of a
message from another list, rather than doing a plain-text
forward.  Neither of those messages included the text of
my original mail.