[Mailman-Developers] Is MM cookie auth 'secure' thru HTTP proxy servers?

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 12:04:23 -0400

    RB> Can someone out there sanity check my thinking on a possible
    RB> hole in Mailman's cookie based authentication.

    RB> The scenario I'm concerned with is when Mailman's web GUI is
    RB> being accessed by a browser via a caching HTTP proxy server
    RB> such as Squid, hardly an uncommon situation these days.

    RB> If my understanding is correct, then Squid (legitimately and
    RB> like probably any other HTTP proxy) has no qualms about
    RB> caching a page merely because of the existence of Cookies or
    RB> Set-Cookie headers in the response or request. This is
    RB> justified by RFC 2616. The Squid FAQ says:

Now that I'm back online, I doubled checked the RFC.  Section 9.5 POST says:

   includes appropriate Cache-Control or Expires header
   fields. However, the 303 (See Other) response can be used to direct
   the user agent to retrieve a cacheable resource.

I think we're safe and probably don't need to change anything.  All
Mailman interactions are done through POSTs, except for public
archiver hits, and those /can/ be cached.

So unless I'm off-base, I think we're fine as-is.
-Barry