[Mailman-Developers] [scr] Worm Klez.E immunity

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen@xemacs.org
26 Apr 2002 21:45:45 +0900

    Dan> Fabulous.  This goes to my mailing list, apparently from
    Dan> Barry.

    Dan> F***ing virus writers.  I want them strung up by and with
    Dan> their privates.

Well, in the last 48 hours on the xemacs lists, spam "from"
rms@gnu.org, clerik@naggum.no, acs@xemacs.org (XEmacs Review Board
member), ben@666.com (ditto), and me has arrived at xemacs.org ... and
been sent to the bit bucket by procmail:

# Use of $ to match newline is a special procmail extension.
# The idiom (.*$[ 	])* should match across RFC 822 folded lines.
# Note that the character class is {SPC,TAB}, procmail doesn't grok \t?
:0
* ^content-type:.*multipart
* B ?? ^content-(type|disposition|description):(.*$[ 	])*\
.*name=.*(\.(exe|pif|bat|scr|doc|asp|wab|xls|mpe?g|mp3|rtf)\
xemacs-spam/executable-included

No false positives, and once I got the folded lines part right no Klez
to the lists, either.  (Boy, procmail is painful.)  Other stuff still
gets through occasionally, though.

Of course Ron Jarrell's $150,000 was well-spent IMO, but for my
purposes this is effective enough to be very satisfying.