[Mailman-Developers] New emerging virus/worm. Grr.

Ron Jarrell jarrell@vt.edu
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 17:43:19 -0400

At 10:07 AM 4/23/02 -0700, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:

>Passing this along, because this has implications to list owners.
>
>A new emerging worm is out there in windows land. That's bad enough, but

Jeez, chuq, where have you been?  I've been dealing with klez for
*months*.  Our central scanners nail about 1,400 of them *a day*.

A spam generating company's mailer got infected recently, and started
spamming people all over the world with the addresses on their "to spam"
list.  The only new development in klez, which in itself is a variant of
sircam (which I get about 2400 a day of) is that a new variant came out
with a new message, and slipped past a lot of virus scanners for a day,
(re)infecting a lot of people who *still* don't know not to click things.

I swear, I could send them a mail messages that said "Click here to destroy
your hard drive totally!" and they would.