[Mailman-Developers] two spaces in subject lines

Ben Gertzfield che@debian.org
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 15:07:04 +0900

On Saturday, April 13, 2002, at 02:59 , Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Ben> Either we need represent the whole thing as one or more
>     Ben> encoded-words, or we need to be super anal about whitespace
>     Ben> between encoded-words and non- encoded-words.
>
> The latter.  What are you going to do with encodings you know nothing
> about, eg, if I send a message with
>
>   Subject: =?sjt-1?q?=49=74=27=73=20=6A=75=73=74=20=41=53=43=49=49=21?=
>
> in it?

Of course, we wouldn't do anything at all with that, regarding
whitespace.  I'm talking about when encoded-words and non- encoded-words
are mixed together.

But I totally agree that we need to be anal; it's just hard to know
ahead of time whether to encode the next space as part of an
encoded-word, or as the space between an encoded-word and a non-
encoded-word.  But we certainly must not do both!

Ben