[Mailman-Developers] after processing a confirm in the subject line, the body should be ignored (v2.1b1)

Georg Koch gorg@sun1.imbi.uni-freiburg.de
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 12:11:15 +0200

Hi all, =

if you send a "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" command via email to
list-request@mailmanhost you get a confirmation message in reply which
says "To confirm that you want to be removed from this mailing list,
simply reply to this message, keeping the Subject: header intact.". =

If you do so, but include the body of the confirm message, you get
TWO messages back: a success message and a long error message stating
"There were problems with the email commands you sent". =

I find this confusing and think you cannot expect everyone to understand
"reply" as "reply with an empty body". I would therefore propose the
following behaviour change:

After a confirm command from the Subject: header field of a message is
processed successfully, the body of this message is ignored (not =

processed).

-- =

--
Georg Koch (koch@cochrane.de)            | Phone: +49 761 203 6710
German Cochrane Centre                   | Fax:   +49 761 203 6712

success is sure." (Mark Twain)