[Mailman-Developers] pipermail replacement

Ben Gertzfield che@debian.org
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 12:44:08 +0900

On Monday, April 8, 2002, at 12:33 , Eric Hanson wrote:

> What about abandoning mbox format and storing emails in the XML
> repository?  Are there a lot of mbox specific things in Mailman?  Is
> this a sane thing to do?

It's only for Pipermail that Mailman stores mails in mbox format.  Since
Pipermail is completely optional, you can use whatever backend you want
for mail archiving, and Mailman can be configured to send each mail as
it arrives to whatever program you want.

You could, for example, configure Mailman to pass incoming mails to the
program "my-xml-repository.py" or whatever.

The rest of the things you mentioned (posting, threading, etc) can all
be handled by your program as an external archiver -- it would just send
posts via email to the real mailman address.

Ben