[Mailman-Developers] no such file config.pck updating to 2.1b1

Ron Jarrell jarrell@vt.edu
Sat, 06 Apr 2002 16:53:37 -0500

At 01:12 AM 4/6/02 -0500, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>     >> You don't.  While the error message is misleading, your
>     >> config.db file will be automatically updated to config.pck the
>     >> first time you load your list (via web, qrunner, or command
>     >> line script).
>
>     RJ> Ah hah.  And you didn't believe me when I posted the comment a
>     RJ> while back that it really shouldn't do that...
>
>I apologize, because I don't remember that conversation.
>
>But I don't see it as being much different than writing the config.db
>file when we (used to) save.  We're just doing it in a more robust
>data file format (marshal == bad, pickle == good).

Not that using the pickle file was bad, the fact that during the upgrade
your error log fills with dire warnings about your db files being bad.

The other thing I mentioned, which I'll mention again, since you haven't
been in email mode is that dropping the placeholder page into the
archives for lists that already *had* working archives was a really bad
move...