[Mailman-Developers] Small annoyance with easy solution

Dale Newfield Dale@Newfield.org
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 12:36:03 -0500 (EST)

I've done enough custom hacking in my most important live 2.0.X install
that I always wind up having to install patches by hand to ensure that
nothing bad happens.  This is fine, and I've no complaints (hey--what
other software this great lets you modify it so thoroughly and easily?).

My complaint is that as often as not, during this manual patch process I
wind up screwing up the indentation levels (which we all know in python
effects the block structure) strictly because tabs are invisible.  (Then
cron barfs on me once a minute until I get it fixed--I realize there's no
cron in 2.1, but that's not the issue--the fact that I broke it at all is
the issue.)

I think the reason I had so many such troubles this past update was due to
vim for some reason deciding to use tab=4 instead of tab=8 when displaying
stuff to me.

I was hoping it would be a reasonable request to replace all tabs in the
2.1 code base with spaces to avoid this problem in the future?

What do y'all think?

(I hope I didn't just start a religious war...)

-Dale