[Mailman-Developers] SF bug report #223533

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Fri, 05 Apr 2002 22:08:04 -0800

On 4/5/02 9:56 PM, "Barry A. Warsaw" <barry@zope.com> wrote:

> List-* headers.  I don't see where the other List-* headers make much
> sense for an admin message, but the List-ID header /does/ make sense
> for such a posting.

I agree the other headers shouldn't be there -- but most mail clients can't
filter on the LACK of a mail header. So if the purpose is to differentiate
admin messages at the client level, this might be RFC compliant but doesn't
solve the problem.

> It makes sense to me.  If I were writing some filter on messages, I'd
> look for the List-ID to figure out which list this message pertains
> to, then I'd look for List-Post to see if this were a list posting or
> an admin message (it's absence would mean "admin message").

That's easy in procmail. In most gui clients, it's impossible.

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui@plaidworks.com -- http://www.chuqui.com/

Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh