[Mailman-Developers] Yet another weird-a$$ potential attack problem...

Marc MERLIN marc_news@vasoftware.com
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 20:48:55 -0800

On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 11:41:35PM -0500, Ron Jarrell wrote:
> At 12:13 AM 4/5/02 -0500, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
> >E.g. we could shut off email confirms altogether and force only web
> >confirmations.  Or we could be more Majordomo-ish as JC describes.
>
> I think all potential subscribers to *any* mailman list should be required
> to trek in person to a lonely abandoned silo in Montana where they will
> descend, following the directions in the confirm note, knock three times on
> the control room door, and be greeted by a grumpy gnome of a man named
> Melvin, who'll shriek "What! What! Why do you all keep bothering me? Don't
> you have enough to do without being on *another* mailinglist??"
>
> At which point he'll refuse to confirm your subscription unless you can
> bring him a shrubbery.

I like that, maybe it also means that I won't have to deal with this anymore
> failingwhich I will be contrained to initiate appropriate legal action as
> may be advised.

Right...

You got instructions on how to unsubscribe when you subscribed (you should
have read and saved the Email) and you get a reminder every month, with
again, instructions on how to unsubscribe.
If you cannot get this to work _after_ reading the instructions and trying
them out, open a support request on the sf.net web site explaining what you
did and what the error was.
(we cannot offer support by mail, so you need to get a support request for
further help should you need any)
>  Mr. Marc,
> I say that your team is taking undue advantages.

You subscribed to the list yourself, so you know who to blame.

> You are aware that no one save unimportant emails for a long time.

Actually
1) they are important
2) other people save them
3) this  is irrelevant,  you replied  to a  monthly Email  that had  all the
   instructions and that you still ignored and didn't read.

> I  request you  to unsubscribe  me from  the mailing  list with  immediate
> effect and further request you to do the needful procedure.

and I'll repeat:

> If you cannot get this to work _after_ reading the instructions and trying
> them out,  open a support request  on the sf.net web  site explaining what
> you did and what the error was.
> (we cannot offer support by mail, so you need to get a support request for
> further help should you need any)

More Emails on this subject will be ignored as a result.

I can't wait for the mailman 2.1 upgrade  and have all this people talk to a
script instead of me.

Marc