[Mailman-Developers] Yet another weird-a$$ potential attack problem...

Ron Jarrell jarrell@vt.edu
Fri, 05 Apr 2002 23:41:35 -0500

At 12:13 AM 4/5/02 -0500, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
>E.g. we could shut off email confirms altogether and force only web
>confirmations.  Or we could be more Majordomo-ish as JC describes.

I think all potential subscribers to *any* mailman list should be required
to trek in person to a lonely abandoned silo in Montana where they will
descend, following the directions in the confirm note, knock three times on
the control room door, and be greeted by a grumpy gnome of a man named
Melvin, who'll shriek "What! What! Why do you all keep bothering me? Don't
you have enough to do without being on *another* mailinglist??"

At which point he'll refuse to confirm your subscription unless you can
bring him a shrubbery.