[Mailman-Developers] More on the zombie brigade:

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 17:54:25 -0500

    CVR> So these are dead, unreaped children owned by qrunner,
    CVR> barry. I'm wondering if it is the mail -> news stuff. I think
    CVR> I see one per message posted to a list, and pretty much all
    CVR> of my lists are gatewayed on that machine. But some
    CVR> sub-process is exiting and not being reaped.

I'm sure it's the mail->news gateway, since that's the only bit that
calls fork() in MM2.0.x.  Looking at the code, I believe that what's
going on is that qrunner doesn't wait on it's children until just
before it's about to exit.  This may not be optimal, but it's
inconvenient to change given the goal to get MM2.0.9 out today.  Since
everything eventually gets cleaned up, can you live with it?

-Barry