[Mailman-Developers] Some data on 2.0.x bounce processing.

Chuq Von Rospach chuq@apple.com
Wed, 03 Apr 2002 12:59:32 -0800

For various reasons, I had to run an address probe on one of my lists today
to find a misbehaving but well-closed address.

One thing I wanted to track was what percentage of the list comes back in
some way. Of the 2000ish on the list, I ended up getting 38 bounces back (so
far). Of those bounces, about 1/3 were being processed by the bounce system
but not terminated. The other 2/3 were unprocessable for various reasons. I
was able to manually deal with all of them, FWIW.

Overall, that means that about 2% of the mail list was bouncing but not
removed from the list. To me, with a fully automated system, that's not bad.
It indicates it probably makes sense to do subscription validation probing
on a manual basiis once in a while, and why we need to look at VERP and
processing password reminders and the like, but I think it shows the bounce
system works pretty well.

I'll be curious what happens when I get 2.1 live and in production...

Just FYI.

Chuq