[Mailman-Developers] Stripping Received headers on anonymous lists

J C Lawrence claw@2wire.com
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 09:52:54 -0700

On Tue, 18 Sep 2001 06:25:59 -0700
Derek Balling <dredd@megacity.org> wrote:

>> From an anonymity perspective, to do it properly ALL headers
>> other than TO/FROM/CC/SUBJECT need to be removed.

> True. So what are the chances of doing this? :)

Source wise its a fairly simple hack.

>> Its also worth realising that the likely most common use of this
>> feature isn't for anonymity, but is for group presence.  Eg a
>> MailMan run tech support list where all official reponses come
>> from the same address.

> Wouldn't the questions get posted to the list with that same
> address then, as well? That seems a confusing use of the
> feature. :)

You're skipping the extesnsible and flexible wonder that is MS
Outlook and the population's capacity to properly configure their
own mail systems.  The times I've seen this done they gang two lists
-- one a public list, and the other an internal list that the
HelpDesk is subscribed to, with the internal list set with privacy
options and REply-To.  They'd rather conflate everything into one
than fix their mail systems.

--
J C Lawrence
claw@kanga.nu               He lived as a devil, eh?