[Mailman-Developers] (2.0.6) pipermail takes >1 minute to rebuild indexes on large lists

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 21:09:02 +0900

Sorry about the busted references, I'm on the digest.

    ben> On a massive list (Mailman 2.0.6) I run that regularly gets a
    ben> few hundred or more emails every day, things begin to slow
    ben> down to molasses after a week or two each month,
[...]

    ben> What can I do to help solve this?  I know I can use an
    ben> external archiver,

You could switch to weekly or daily archiving, I assume Pipermail
supports that.

    ben> but I don't know anything about that.

It's not that hard.  I don't know much about this (jason, our Official
Mail Guy, has taken an indefinite sanity leave so I'm learning more
than I really wanna know), but what XEmacs does is to use the remnants
of the former MLM like so:

In /etc/aliases:

main:         "|/home/mailman/prog/wrapper post main",main-archive
main-archive: "|/opt/majordomo/wrapper archive2-y2k.pl -a -M -f /opt/archive/majordomo/main

"/opt/archive/majordomo/main" is the directory holding the archives.

Of course you switch off Mailman's internal archiver.  At least this
gets the archiving hairball out of Mailman's pipeline.

The HTML stuff is done by wilma (Web Interface to List Mail Archives),
a front end to mhonarc and glimpse.  I don't know anything about that,
but could check out the configuration if you want.  Provides fairly
nice searching, and is admittedly tuned to majordomo archives.
Requires one cron job for reindexing.