[Mailman-Developers] New Pipermail hacks (was Re: Ok, it works! ...)

Jay R. Ashworth jra@baylink.com
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 10:56:59 -0400

On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 12:34:53AM -0500, David Champion wrote:
> I don't care to make a full-blown rendering of HTML; I'd argue that it's
> not Mailman's job -- but it is Mailman's job (or, more precisely, the
> archiver's job) to provide any text available to the archive viewer.
> Whether its display is true to the intentions of the poster is subject
> to endless debate, but HTML is widely expected to be legible even if
> it's not rendered per specification -- and it almost always is, if you
> try hard enough -- so I think that the content should be available.

You might shell out to Lynx; I believe it has enough switches to render
the HTML into ASCII and be restrained from doing anything nasty.

You'd then depend on Lynx, of course, but that doesn't seem too
hasslacious.

Cheers,
-- jra

   "Usenet: it's enough to make you loose your mind."
     -- me