[Mailman-Developers] comments on mailman2.1a3

Kaja P. Christiansen kaja@daimi.au.dk
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 19:12:11 +0200

Thanks for all new stuff in mailman2.1a3; it looks really good. I installed
it ~mailman2 and on a different web server than our production version.
Here are a few comments:

- after the installation of email package, the test - as recommended
  by INSTALL - returns email.__version__ 0.92 (and not 0.93).

- no problems with the compilation (irix6.5)

- directory permissions were right, except for ~mailman2/messages and
  mailman2/templates (no g+w permission).

- the only real problem was setting the web page url correctly.

  what happened is that I wanted the test version to use mailman2.domain
                                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  as default url. I created a list, mailman2-test, and everything looked
  good - messages got posted and archived - except for the urls in the
  List-* headers which said something like:
                            ^^^^^^
  (and which pointed to another web server)

  I tried many things (HOST and URL variables for configure, DEFAULT_URL
  and DEFAULT_URL_HOST in mm_cfg.py, and add_virtualhost hack (which I
  don't understand)) but nothing helped. What *did* help was to reread
  NEWS, find reference to bin/fix_url.py, and find in it a comment which
  told me to run bin/withlist -l -r fix_url <list> :-)