[Mailman-Developers] Mailman and cookies.

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 18:08:46 -0400

    CVR> After 20 minutes or so, I finally tracked it down. Some other
    CVR> site at apple had lodged a cookie in my browser. When Mailman
    CVR> tried to read my cookies to validate my browser, it was
    CVR> causing the admin CGI to core dump.

Core dumped, right?  Not caused a traceback?

Python's like any other interpreted or byte compiled language: in
theory you should never be able to write pure Python code that can
crash the interpreter.  Such a situation is by definition a bug in the
interpreter.

Are you running Python 1.5.2?  I vaguely recall that it was possible
to crash Python with some sequence of cookie data.

[quick google search...]

Here's an article in the middle of a thread about this on the Python
mailing list.  It contains a patch (which I can't vouch for).

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/1999-July/006953.html

Note the date. :)

Suggestions:

1) upgrade Python to 2.1.1 and Mailman to 2.0.6.
2) apply the patch suggested above and see if the crashes go away.

-Barry