[Mailman-Developers] moderate by user?

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Sat, 13 Oct 2001 00:29:01 -0700

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001 14:14:04 -0700
Larry McVoy <lm@bitmover.com> wrote:

> Forgive me if this is glaring at me in the docs, but does any
> mailman version have the ability to have some users be moderated
> and some be not moderated on the same list?

Not exactly.

You can configure a list to be moderated and then manually add
subscribers to the "authorised posters" (PrivacyOptions, 7th option)
list which will let those poster's messages past without
moderation.  I do this with my own moderated lists so that I won't
have to moderate my own posts.

But its not human scalable.

Its not a config item that's stored against the subscriber rolls;
its just a list of addresses that exists outside of the subscriber
list.  Previously I ran the sort of system you described and found
maintaining the approved poster list was excessively painful given
Mailman's supports.

Translation: For what you're describing it works fine as long as you
keep the list small.

> This would rock my world and a lot of other people's as well.

Aye, I'd like it as well.  What's really needed is a per-subscriber
config option which is controllable only by the ListOwner (there are
good arguments for it being both invisible and visible to members)
and is stored as part of the subscriber list.

I wonder if Barry would accept a patch for that?  Barry?

> I'd love to be able run my lists as "you're trusted until you
> screw up" and/or "you're untrusted until you prove trustyworthy"
> and be able to pick and choose on a per person basis.

Verily.

> Thanks in advance, I love Mailman.

Mailman is Good Software.

--