[Mailman-Developers] Having more than 16,000 lists

Marc MERLIN marc_news@valinux.com
Thu, 22 Nov 2001 11:06:01 -0800

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 05:34:47PM -0800, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 10:43:54PM -0400, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
> >     MM> Just for the record, Sourceforge just hit the 16,000 lists
> >     MM> limit today and broke because ext2fs doesn't support more than
> >     MM> 32,000 links to a directory (archives/private had 32,000
> >     MM> archive dirs) I'm told freebsd's UFS has similar problems.
> >
> > Wow, neat!  Not for you, but neat. :)
>
> BTW, I ended up removing all the HTML archive directories since I've turned
> off HTML archiving anyway.
> That gives  us a little  while (more  than six months  if we are  lucky :-D)
> before we hit the 32,000 lists mark.
>
> I'm thinking  about an optional  modification to mailman which  only affects
> list  creation that  creates  the mailman/foo/l/li/listname  dirs, and  then
> symlinks all this to mailman/foo/listname
> Yeah, symlinks aren't great, but the advantage is that it requires no other
> changes to the mailman code

I  haven't  yet  had the  time  to  work  on  this,  but I  wanted  to  know
what  your   preference  was   between  a   hack  that   optionally  creates
mailman/foo/l/li/listname dirs  at the  time the list  is created,  and then
sets symlinks back to where the rest  of the mailman code expects to see the
files and  dirs, or a bigger  change to teach  all of mailman about  the new
file and dir location (no more symlinks)
Of course, if we go with the no symlink route, making the deep subdir config
optional would be a bit more work.

What's your take on this, and which route would you prefer?

Marc