[Mailman-Developers] Re: mangling of subject header by outlook or mailman

totschnig.michael@uqam.ca totschnig.michael@uqam.ca
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 10:34:02 -0500

Hello,

Tokio Kikuchi <tkikuchi@is.kochi-u.ac.jp> a =E9crit:

>> 3) a user of outlookexpress 5 replies both directly and via the
>> list. the direct reply has the following header:
>>=20
>> Subject: =3D?iso-8859-1?Q?Re:_=3D5BTest=3D5D_test_de_deboguage_des_=3D=
E9_et_=3DE8_dans_le_he?=3D
>>         =3D?iso-8859-1?Q?ader_subject?=3D
>>=20
>> which still gets correctly decoded by mail readers.
>
> How other mailers do with this phase of subject ?

I tested pine and gnus:

pine creates:

Subject: Re: [Test] =3D?ISO-8859-1?Q?test_de_deboguage_des_=3DE9_et_=3DE8=
_dans_le
 ?=3D =3D?ISO-8859-1?Q?_header_subject?=3D

which seems delivered unchanged by Mailman:

_dans_le
 ?=3D =3D?ISO-8859-1?Q?_header_subject?=3D

gnus creates (if configured to strip list-identifiers) :

Subject: Re: test de deboguage des =3D?iso-8859-1?q?=3DE9?=3D et
 =3D?iso-8859-1?q?=3DE8?=3D dans le header subject

which when delivered by mailman becomes

 =3D?iso-8859-1?q?=3DE8?=3D dans le header subject

> This problem has long been known to Japanese mailing list owners
> and we solved this problem by decoding the MIME header _before_
> adding the list prefix and then re-encoding the subject into MIME.
>
> I wrote a module to convert the incoming Japanese mail into EUC
> while decoding the MIME headers. All the outgoing messages should
> be encoded in MIME scheme and I also wrote one to do this.
> They are integrated into Japanese Mailman;
>    http://mm.tkikuchi.net/mailman-2.0.7+J2.20011112.tar.gz

this seems the right thing to do also for latin-1 or other encodings ,
is there any chance of getting it integrated to the mainstream
mailman? But I have no idea of the complexity of the task.

Michael