[Mailman-Developers] Feature request

Marc MERLIN marc_news@valinux.com
Mon, 14 May 2001 20:48:40 -0700

On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 08:32:17PM -0700, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
> > Looking at  it now, it's  surprising that this hasn't  happened sooner: SF's
> > mailman was abused with someone creating a bogus project with a mailing list
> > which was then used to subscribe about 10,000 people and then spam them into
> > oblivion.
>
> It was going to happen sooner or later if you have people allowed to create
> stuff without adult supervision.

Turns out  that it  actually was a  misguided user with  a real  project who
apparently thought a lot of people should know about it.
The problem remains though.

BTW, there is adult supervision, SF  does check and approve projects one per
one, but there isn't much you can do about people who lie and set up a phony
project that looks real.

> > - Have a config.db entry: allow web  subscribes, that can only be changed by
> > the mailman owner (i.e. master password, not list password)
>
> This is one of the basic realities -- either disabling or limiting the size
> of web imports until someone has been 'cleared' as a trusted admin. That
> would mean some form of vetting procedurel, which means a human body in
> place to make sure things are legit. Until that happens, web-loads are
> limited to small values (because, honestly, you don't want to bother with
> small groups -- at worst, the damage is minimal, and most likely, someone
> likely it's legit).

Agreed.

Note that  it introduces the  concept of an uber  user who gets  those admin
check Emails and other things to confirm instead of the list admin.

> My idea is that permission  is done on a per-admin basis. Once you've vetted
> a guy on one list, you don't want to have to manually re-vet them on their
> next list, and the next, and...

That  could work  for some,  but doesn't  help that  much with  a determined
spammer who lies to get this access and then does the bad deed.
That said, it'd still be a lot better than what we have now.

I guess  the best would be  to have a config  option that says what  the max
number of people who can be added through the web is (0 being a possibility)

Having oversized adds go to a site admin for confirmation instead of just
failing would be an added bonus.

Marc