[Mailman-Developers] Creation/deletion of lists through-the-web

Barry A. Warsaw barry@digicool.com
Thu, 10 May 2001 13:20:54 -0400

    >>  I disagree.  Postfix documents all this, so I consider it part
    >> of their API.  And the fact that they have alias_maps /and/
    >> alias_databases shows that they intend for external
    >> applications to create and manage maps that Postfix will
    >> consult.

    JRA> Oh.  Didn't realize that.  As JC notes, though, there's a
    JRA> problem in reverse.

Not really, because I submit that you shouldn't have to touch the
plain text Mailman-specific aliases file.  You shouldn't be mixing
non-Mailman aliases into this file (and don't need to since Postfix
will happily consult any number of files via alias_maps), and Mailman
can be taught to DTRT for the Mailman-related aliases.

    >> I'll note that python.org and zope.org are a shared Mailman,
    >> virtual host arrangement, and it's all worked perfectly with
    >> both Postfix, and now Exim.

    JRA> Noted.  Which do you like better?

I'm mostly agnostic here.  I chose Postfix years ago for the old CNRI
machines when I was just frustrated beyond my breaking point with
Sendmail (you don't even want to hear about our even older, internal,
and hand-crufted mmdf installation).  Once I learned it I had little
reason - or really, time - to change.

When we (and our lists ;) moved to Digital Creations, and we
integrated the python.org and zope.org domains, I was able to
pawn^H^H^H^H, er, hand off the specific MTA duties to the zope.org
webmaster.  He was very comfortable with Exim and since I was
load-shedding, I wasn't in a position to argue.  Exim's done the job
quite admirably since then.  And it's very nice that Exim is so easily
integrated with Mailman!

-Barry