[Mailman-Developers] Creation/deletion of lists through-the-web

Fil fil@rezo.net
Wed, 9 May 2001 23:23:29 +0200

@ Barry A. Warsaw (barry@digicool.com) :
> Last night I got inspired to add back the through-the-web creation and
> deletion of mailing lists.  I've now got this working for Postfix and

Sorry I'm catching this thread late. I've been hacking another way with
mailman and postfix, and thought I should share. The idea is outlined below,
and the details are on http://listes.rezo.net/comment.php (in French, but
there are mostly codes... in code.)

So in postfix create a new virtual domain (listes.rezo.net in my case)
within the /etc/postfix/virtual file ; **this domain will be totally used by
mailman** ; then use some regexp virtual addresses
so that  (.*)-post is sent to mailman-post+$1@localhost
         (.*)-subscribe to mailman-subscribe+$1@localhost
and so on. If an adress mathces none of the -action filters, send it to
$1-post (so that listname@listes.rezo.net is sent to list-post then to the
post programme)

then in the /etc/aliases file define
    mailman-post: "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/wrapper post $EXTENSION"

and allow the '+' sign as an extension delimiteer in postfix.

Then (shazzam!) any mail coming to the listes.rezo.net domain is processed
by the right mailman scripts. Of course we intercept required addresses
before the regexp ones, so that postmaster@, abuse@ and root@listes.rezo.net
go to root@localhost.

What gives? When I need to create a list, or to delete one, I don't need
root privileges or access to any postfix file. I just do the bin/newlist
stuff and the list is ready.

Hope this can be helpful.