[Mailman-Developers] Re: Big problems with stale lockfiles on large list...

Graham TerMarsch mailman@howlingfrog.com
Thu, 3 May 2001 11:17:48 -0700

On Thursday 03 May 2001 01:14, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>     CVR> By the by, I hate to say this, but I think this thing
>     CVR> deserves a 2.0.5 subrelease....
>
> Oh, let me add (since it's 4am :), that I also would like to get more
> feedback on the success of the patch.  One thing I don't want to do is
> have 2.0.5 make things worse!

FWIW Barry, this patch appears to have just about completely solved our
lockfile problems and stalled WWW pages that we were having.

I used to be able to use "ab" (ApacheBench) to pound on one of the
"subscribe" pages, and could just about guarantee stale/dangling
lockfiles.  Even at 10 requests total, 5 concurrently, this problem would
appear.  After applying the patch, though, I've been able to crank it up
to 100 total requests, 10 concurrent, and not see any dangling/stale
locks.  Didn't test any further beyond that as it at least identified for
me that the problem (if it was still around) wasn't anywhere near as
serious or identifiable as it was previously.

--
Graham TerMarsch