[Mailman-Developers] case-sensitive e-mail addresses

Jay R. Ashworth jra@baylink.com
Wed, 2 May 2001 11:05:18 -0400

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 11:02:38AM -0400, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
>     JRA> The controlling paragraphs are 2.4 and 4.1.2 in RFC 2821,
>     JRA> both of which specify that a local-part may be case
>     JRA> sensitive.
>
>     JRA> IE: oops.  :-}
>
> No oops on Mailman's part!  We case preserve for the benefit of the
> receiving smtpds, but I think it's perfectly valid for Mailman to
> case-fold subscription keys.

I'm afraid I must disagree: that section of 2821 implies that

John.Doe@example.com
and
john.doe@example.com

*may be separate mailboxes*.  Admittedly, it's a corner case, and very
unlikely ever to bite us, but doing it that was *does* violate the
standard.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink