[Mailman-Developers] case-sensitive e-mail addresses

Jay R. Ashworth jra@baylink.com
Wed, 2 May 2001 10:27:06 -0400

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 10:17:37AM -0400, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
>     S> Please, could someone advise me if there is still an issue with
>     S> using case-sensitive e-mail addresses with mailman?
>     S> ie. john.doe@email.com vs. John.Doe@email.com would both get
>     S> delivered? Or would the case-incorrect version bounce?
>
> Mailman is case-preserving case-insensitive w.r.t. email addresses.
>
> What this means is that you cannot subscribe both john.doe@email.com
> and John.Doe@email.com; they are considered the same address for
> memebership purposes.

Ok... since I know that LHS's are supposed to be treated as if they
*might* be case-sensitive, I dug further.

The controlling paragraphs are 2.4 and 4.1.2 in RFC 2821, both of which
specify that a local-part may be case sensitive.

IE: oops.  :-}

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink