[Mailman-Developers] Re: Dates

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Wed, 02 May 2001 01:44:27 -0700

On Wed, 2 May 2001 00:20:51 -0400
Barry A Warsaw <barry@digicool.com> wrote:

JRA> How many mailing lists, how many days?  I can do 2300 in about
JRA> a week...

> Oh jeez, that's just the messages I've actually looked at and
> buried thinking "I'll get back to them".  Counts digests as single
> messages.

I average around 2,500 to 3,000 messages a day here (no digests).
Tonight I've managed to work my unread counter down from 11,000 and
something to 4549.  Doing good.

> I'm not claiming I'm unique or even that bad in our world of
> geeks.  I had a boss that had 30k+ messages in his inbox, and
> simply had his secretary just delete the whole dang thing.
> There's a lot to be said for "if it's important enough, they'll
> keep bugging me". :)

Procmail is your friend.

One of the thing I do occassionally is relegate lists to the
background.  I then have procmail search the messages it files to
their per-list folders for matches to key-word lists, and then files
a second copy in my <ListName-Interesting> folder.  Then, to have
procmail auto-file that thread and all future replies into the
interesting folder, I have it watch and maintain a timestamped
database of MessageIDs which are then scanned for in the In-Reply-To
and References: headers.

Works quite nicely.

--
J C Lawrence                                       claw@kanga.nu