[Mailman-Developers] Dates

Jay R. Ashworth jra@baylink.com
Tue, 1 May 2001 18:24:41 -0400

On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 03:16:27PM -0700, Dan Mick wrote:
> > I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, then.
>
> Jay, that was the point of my original post.  Why are you worrying me like
> a dog with rawhide on this one?  I'm not something you have to topple,
> I'm just stating my opinion.

Hmmm... I guess, Dan, that I'll have to go re-read the thread.  It
seemed to me like you were popping up in the middle of a "how should we
fix this" thread with "don't".

> > Hmmm... isn't that what we said?
>
> I don't know.  There was a hell of a lot of discussion about Received headers
> and moderation delays, and I think it's wasted effort.  I was mostly ignoring
> that conversation, but I stopped to offer an
> opinion-on-the-way-to-what-I'd-do-as-solution, since you seemed to be
> haranguing me for one.

Hmmm...

> > And no, "time sent by the sender" is a meaningful date as well... *even
> > if* it's not correctly represented by the header.
>
> But there's no way to measure that with any accuracy at all except the
> Date: header, which can be wrong, but shouldn't be.  All else is sophistry.

That it can't accurately be measured does not make it immaterial; to so
assert is also sophistry.  :-)

> > Funny... I thought Barry'd started it.  I'll have to go back and look.
>
> I started the thread titled Dates, today.

Congratulations.  But that wasn't the thread that started the
discussion of the topic; that one was "2006 Messages in Archives".
And it wasn't Barry, as it happens, it was Ousmane Wilane.

> > But regardless, I concur with Barry and the other people who called it
> > a problem, and I think a solution is in order.  Barry's solution has an
> > on-off switch.  If you think that this is not a problem *to the people
> > for whom you maintain an archive*, then shut that switch off.
>
> Well, duh, Jay.  Again, I don't know why you think I don't understand that,
> or that I'm recommending any behavior for you or anyone else.  I'm merely
> offering an opinion.  Stop being so threatened by that.

I sounded threatened?

I thought you didn't understand that because your postings made it
sound like you didn't understand that.  The *real* problem, as I
mentioned above, is that you started a new thread for no particularly
apparent reason; we were *already talking about this*, in a thread
that, as my memory had led me to expect, *started the day before your
posting*.

So quit snarking at me, especially since you're having to invent
reasons to do so.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink