[Mailman-Developers] mailman and the web

Ricardo Kustner ricardo@rixhq.nu
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 08:26:03 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 10:32:38AM +0100, Thomas Wouters wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 09:23:28AM -0800, Jerry Asher wrote:
> > >Phase 3:        Develop Php front-end for Archives/Admin utils
>
> > That makes me curious.  I know Tcl (and C, LISP, etc.) but not Python or
> > PHP.  One reason for undertaking this project was to give me something
> > "real" to focus on while learning Python.  My understanding was that Python
> > and PHP are somewhat competing technologies.  Mailman is a Python tool
> PHP and Python aren't as competing with each other as Python and Tcl are :-)
> Seriously, though, I personally detest PHP. I've done a fair lot in it, and
> I hate it for a number of reasons, one of the more important ones being
> security (or lack thereof.) Python is a much, much easier language to
> program in, even for Web/CGI stuff, and if you are going to execute Python
> in the back anyway, it's not that much faster.

This makes me wonder... is there a mod_python for apache? or maybe fastcgi libs? would be interesting to have an extra choice to be able to run mailman
in such an environment... especially if we get database support in the code; then it'd be good to be able to use persistant db links IMHO...

In a little defense for PHP, I think it's almost like perl; even though you know
it has some issues it gets the job done very quickly easily and almost
anything you want to do is available out of the box. Which I think it's
one of the reasons why it grows so quickly...
I don't agree with python being easier though :) For somebody new to programming
it's easier to learn PHP than python... in some way PHP is just a huge
number of available functions with a bit of programming language around
it ;)

ps: sorry if my mesage is a bit messy; I have to get used to using mutt+vi again... I've given up my search for a stable gui mail client for now (again ;))

--
Regards,

Ricardo