[Mailman-Developers] Here's a little issue with the news gatewaying: If the n

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 00:16:58 +0100

[ Apologies for the off-topicness, but Python can't be *totally* off topic,
  not on this mailinglist, can it ? :) ]

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 11:29:26AM -0500, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

> > Note that Python is the easiest langauge in the world. Did you read the
> > tutorial yet ? If you're already familiar with programming in some other
> > language, it's easy to get into, and will teach you everything about the
> > language itself. Most of the rest you'll want to learn eventually is library
> > docs, but you can browse those on an as-needed basis.

> Well, you can code python like C, or you can code it like python, just
> like perl 5.  If it's coded like C, which much of this package is, I
> can follow it.

Actually, Mailman is written in pretty standard Python. Pipermail is
probably an example of the word's worst Python code, but the rest is pretty
simple :) It might reflect a bit of C style because Barry does a fair bit of
C coding, but Barry also used to do a lot of Java coding (or pretend to,
anyway, on JPython :) so I'm not sure if that's true. Python isn't like
Perl, you can't write it in *that* many different ways :)

Usually just in one, even. Even pipermail is fairly standard python code, if
you refactor some of the functions and fix the whitespace usage.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>