[Mailman-Developers] FIX: web admin login failures and cookies

David Walter dwalter@syr.edu
Fri, 02 Mar 2001 00:25:51 -0500

I have been having difficulty with the admin interface
using mailman v1.1 as shipped with debian potato.

Initially the login works fine for the first time after
creating a new list.

When I leave and return to the list I would have the same
problem as others:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2000-July/005550.html

When I started looking at the cookie data I noticed
something.

most cookies in my cookie file have a path = '/'
mailman has a path = /cgi-bin/mailman

Now, I thought about the suggestion when configuring with
apache to set up an alias, this I did so that uri's now look
like:

Notice that this conflicts with the cookie lookup.

When I type in the full uri:

Voila! I didn't even have to type in the password the first
time.

So, is this path sent as part of the cookie data for a
reason? I mean is there a possibility of an administrator
configuring and installing mailman at more than one cgi path
on the system with the same list names so that there might
be a conflict?  If not would it be possible to remove the
path so that it would be consistent?

Is the following the only places that this would affect

	grep GetRequestURI Mailman/*/* Mailman/*

Cgi/admin.py:125:                 'path'    :
Utils.GetRequestURI(defaulturi),

Cgi/admindb.py:104:                 'path'    :
Utils.GetRequestURI(defaulturi)\

            text = Utils.maketext(
                'admlogin.txt',
                {'listname': list_name,
                 'path'    : Utils.GetRequestURI(defaulturi),
                 'message' : message,
                 })

Please cc any reply.

Thanks so much.