[Mailman-Developers] Mailman queue design problem?

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 16:02:47 -0700

--Apple-Mail-499853444-1

On Friday, June 22, 2001, at 03:52 PM, Carson Gaspar wrote:

> I _really_ want bounces and commands in 2 different queues. The
> firewalls mailing list gets _tons_ of bounces, and it clogs up
> everything else.

Have you looked at why? Is it just that large a list -- or do you have a
continuing problem with bounces floating through the system that you
think mailman is handling but mailman isn't?

Mailman doesn't handle all bounces. Unfortunately, it's not good at
telling you this right now (and we haven't really figured out a good way
to deal with this, since it seems there are two modes: silently dropping
this stuff or inundating the admin with it). I had this problem until I
started analyzing the system and realized I had a bunch of stuff that
was going to bounce forever -- and when I cleaned that stuff up (by
tracking down the addresses that had changed enough to not be
recognized, the stuff being forwarded (and forwarded.. and forwarded)
and etc), a huge part of my bounce 'problem' went away.

start by taking the bounce log, and grepping for "not a member", and
clean up as much of that as you can. You may find a huge difference in
your performance and backlogs....

[<chuqui@plaidworks.com> = <me@chuqui.com> = <chuq@apple.com>]

You know, I Remember When I Used To Speak In Capitals, Too. It's
addictive.
It also encourages people to poke sticks at you. Justifiably. (chuq,
1992)

--Apple-Mail-499853444-1

I _really_ want bounces and commands in 2 different queues. The
firewalls mailing list gets _tons_ of bounces, and it clogs up
everything else.

</excerpt>

[...]

</color>--

Chuq Von Rospach, Internet Gnome <<http://www.chuqui.com>