[Mailman-Developers] Mailman queue design problem?

Barry A. Warsaw barry@digicool.com
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 12:02:29 -0400

    >> 4) The qrunners are long running processes, monitored by a cron
    >> spawned watchdog.  Pros: on a warmed up system, delivery occurs
    >> almost immediately, with start up delays amortized over the
    >> life of the qrunner (Python 2.0's cyclic garbage collector
    >> helps keep memory usage under control).  Cons: debugging is,
    >> er, more challenging because you have to kill the master
    >> qrunner whenever you (really, I ;) make a change to the code.

    JRA> With just a little caution on locking, that's going to make
    JRA> my rate limit throttling stuff much easier to implement,
    JRA> isn't it?

I believe so, but I can think of one refinement that would help you.
The Runner base class calls _doperiodic() after each file is
processed.  In here you could do the rate limit calculation, but
currently there's no protocol for _doperiodic() to tell the for loop
in __oneloop() to break out early.  I think I can easily add one.

-Barry