[Mailman-Developers] (no subject)

claw@kanga.nu claw@kanga.nu
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 21:57:13 -0700

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001 01:35:22 GMT
etoffi  <etoffi@softhome.net> wrote:

> J C Lawrence writes:

> one thing i would like to say about message numbers before leaving
> this part of the conversation is that i can create my own list
> archive, which is automatically synced with all others because i
> have a "master" number.  maybe this could be an option (for people
> who like this point)

There is little preventing you from using MessageIDs to and for the
same purpose.  The only difference is that literal numbers are a bit
more human friendly than MessageIDs.  I argue that this is a false
economy as, handled properly the MessageID's would never have to be
human processed but could be embedded in URLs and pre-canned
commands ready to email.

> either way, my idea is to have a unique value that represents each
> message accepted to a list and a map of subscriber addresses and
> missed message [unique values].

Not a bad idea.  I've got a CGI that does MessageID based lookups on
MHonArc archives (give it the MessageId it returns the archive
page).  It wouldn't be difficult to ad a mapping back to the