[Mailman-Developers] Re: To VERP or not to VERP?

Fil fil@rezo.net
Sun, 17 Jun 2001 20:58:58 +0200

@ Chuq Von Rospach (chuqui@plaidworks.com) :
> But what I've found, for really large e-mail installations, there's
> always another bottleneck. The bigger/faster machine paradigm just
> doesn't scale after a while, so what I'm working on now is a new setup
> that I'm calling the "army of smurfs" design. I'm going to be buying
> lots of small/fast/cheap boxes, and not going to try to try to keep
> making that single monolithic machine do incrementally more.

On my setup (postfix) there's a heavy use of the /etc/postfix/transport
feature, that redirects all domains with which I have a problem (like those
that are not always accepting mail I send) to a slave machine that is very
near (in terms of bandwidth) the first one. It reduces A LOT the disk
problems (mostly mailqueue becoming very heavy) -- maybe I should continue
this way with more domains being handled to slave machine(s). Is that the
option you're describing?

-- Fil