[Mailman-Developers] why no user disable of the monthly reminder?

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Sun, 3 Jun 2001 07:22:36 -0700

On Saturday, June 2, 2001, at 11:20 PM, J C Lawrence wrote:

> When I was only on a couple Mailman-run lists I didn't bother.  Now
> I get twenty or password reminder messages a month.

A good reason, by the way, to be able to set things up so these messages
are spread out across the month, not everyone sending them out from
every installation on the same day for every list. (I realize people can
tweak the crontab. nobody does).

I'd really prefer these things be per-list, not per-site. And
customizable, so I can, for instance, include pointers to the FAQ,
archives, list rules, or whatever. And then be able to configure when
they go out for each list.

I also really wish mailpasswd had checkpoints, so if it dies, it'd
restart where it left off -- my big mailman box has been mailing out
password notices since friday night, for instance, and while I expect it
to finish sometime today, this is a situation just fraught with
potential problems. What I'd *really* like, if we must do this on a
site-wide basis is to run mailpasswd every night, and tell it, say, to
send out 5,000 per night, and keep track of where it left off. Having to
run it manually because on a site as big as this one it has to happen on
a weekend kinda bites.

Oh, and one more thing (thanks for reminding me). the password reminders
aren't really hooked into the bounce-processed setup, since they get
sent back to a list admin address, and not necessarily one the user is
actually subscribed to. We're losing a major opportunity to clean up the
mail lists here, especially when it comes to non-standard mailers and
forwarded addresses. These really ought to be sent from a special
address with a special envelope, so returns can be processed for
site-wide removal (IMHO, if the password reminder bounces for any
reason, that qualifies as removal. I'm going to have to pull the data
out of bounce files monday and manually hack something up...

[<chuqui@plaidworks.com> = <me@chuqui.com> = <chuq@apple.com>]

Q: Did God really create the world in seven days?
A: He did it in six days and nights while living on cola and candy
    bars.  On the seventh day he went home and found out his girlfriend
    had left him.