[Mailman-Developers] Re: GET vs POST (was Re: subscription confirmations)

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 13:59:03 -0700

On 7/18/01 1:29 PM, "Gerald Oskoboiny" <gerald@impressive.net> wrote:

>> If I correctly understood your latter suggestion, then that's even
>> worse, because 'scoopers' can't even avoid it -- it's not marked as
>> 'magic' by the "?" character in the URL.
>
> URLs are not 'magic' just because they have a "?" character in
> them; prefetchers can fetch URLs whether or not they have "?"s.
> Those URLs could point to news articles or messages in mail archives
> or something just as well as anything else.

Yeah, you can't make that assumption. I've written systems that do:

http://www.foo.bar/yada/token/token/token.

One reason you do stuff like that is to keep URLs short, bcause email
clients are notorious for munging them badly and inconsistently

You can easily build systems that hide side effects from systems, which, of
course, the blackhats will.

[<chuqui@plaidworks.com> = <me@chuqui.com> = <chuq@apple.com>]

USENET is a lot better after two or three eggnogs. We shouldn't allow
anyone on the net without a bottle of brandy. (chuq von rospach, 1992)