[Mailman-Developers] Re: GET vs POST (was Re: subscription confirmations)

Jay R. Ashworth jra@baylink.com
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 15:29:48 -0400

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 02:02:19PM -0400, Dale Newfield wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> > Things as simple as "please click this button to confirm that you want
> > to be added to this list.  If you don't, you don't need to do anything
> > at all".  Which is, is it not, what we were talking about in the first
> > place...
>
> You're making the assumption that people can "click this button" in their
> mail readers.  We don't know that.  We do know that once they are looking
> at the page in their web browser, they can definitely "click this button"
> to confirm (or do nothing).

You've misunderstood me.  I was *not* making the assumption that people
could "click this button" in their mailreaders, and, in fact, I think
that mailreaders that interpret HTML are the Spawn of Satan.

*My* point was that not allowing the GET to *do the work* *required*
the user to then click a button on the resulting webpage, whereas
allowing the GET to do the unsubscribe permitted the user to receive a
page which merely said "you@your.place has been unsubscribed; we promise
to miss you if you'll just go away."

You can't do that if they GET isn't allowed to do the work.

Cheers,
-- jra

   OS X: Because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows
     -- Simon Slavin in a.f.c