[Mailman-Developers] Re: GET vs POST (was Re: subscription confirmations)

Jay R. Ashworth jra@baylink.com
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 11:36:13 -0400

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 07:56:46AM -0700, Les Niles wrote:
> >Actually, alas, this is the crux of the discussion.  It is *not* a
> >fairly simple change: you can't POST *from the middle of an email*,
> >which was the desired implementation.  If you use POST, the user *has
> >to do another thing*.
>
> Well, yeah, but as I said, I think having the user do another thing
> actually makes for a much nicer UI.

Alas, Chuq's assertion, which would not surprise me in the least,
proved it true, is that it does *not*; it gets you lots of stupid
support questions.

>                                        My "simple change" comment
> was intended to refer to the coding effort.  (Hmm... seems like it
> would be possible to POST from a text/html section in the middle of
> an email... but I'm sure not going to suggest that. :)

:-)  Small Matter Of Programming.

> >There is much reason not to comply with the published standard: people
> >are stupid.  Shame, isn't it?
>
> I'm not sure which stupidity you're talking about.  Are you
> concerned that people will launch the link from the email but then
> not push the "confirm" (or "cancel") button?

I personally wasn't concerned with that, but Chuq seems to be (unless
I've misread him) and he as a *much* larger stable of experience on the
topic.

Cheers,
-- jra

   OS X: Because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows
     -- Simon Slavin in a.f.c