[Mailman-Developers] Please Explain !!!

Simon Troup simon.troup@digitalmusicart.com
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 01:15:39 +0100

The reason that I know there is a connection, however tentative, is that
sardy5@graffiti.net is signed up on mailman-dev mailing list (i just
checked) and I'm now getting all his/her mail.

This is the only connection between me and him/her. I have never so much as
looked at anything on portal2.com or outblaze.com.

I admint it's bizzarre, but just check the subscribers list ?!?! It was
probably not the python.org servers that mixed it up (how could they), still
how in the hell did it happen?!?! Beats me.

Simon Troup

From: barry@digicool.com (Barry A. Warsaw)
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 20:02:19 -0400
To: Simon Troup <simon.troup@digitalmusicart.com>
Cc: <mailman-developers@python.org>
Subject: Re: [Mailman-Developers] Please Explain !!!

    ST> Can anyone please explain why, after joining the Mailman Users
    ST> mailing list, I have been bombarded by dozens of emails that
    ST> appear to orinate form mailing lists at portal2.com and
    ST> outblaze.com and are addressed to sardy5@graffiti.net (not me
    ST> !! My email appears in "Envelope to").

I can guarantee there is no explicit connection between portal2 or
outblaze and either Mailman or python.org.  I highly doubt there's any
implicit connection either, i.e. they aren't using Mailman.  From the
Message-ID of the message you forwarded, I'd say it's a good guess
they're using Lyris <wink>.

It's also almost impossible that you got bombarded by someone
harvesting mailman-users because 1) there's no way they could have
done that in just a few minutes; 2) why didn't anybody else get
spammed?