[Mailman-Developers] module imports & performance

Ricardo Kustner ricardo@rixhq.nu
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 18:11:23 +0200

On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 05:27:48PM +0200, Thomas Wouters wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 05:08:21PM +0200, Ricardo F . Kustner wrote:
> > Most of the components (apache,fastcgi,php and some perl scripts) don't show
> > any difference in performance, but it looks like the mailman python scripts
> > have decreased in performance dramatically... loading up a page in the
> > webinterface takes about 7 seconds! After some playing around with python
> > -i, I noticed that "from Mailman import MailList" takes about 4 seconds...
> Well, 'import MailList' triggers a lot of file loads, so the easiest target
> would be 'disk I/O'. But just to be sure: all your modules have '.pyc'
> variants as well ? You can check by doing something like
> Mailman/MailList.pyc
> If the latter says '.py' instead of '.pyc', that's your problem.
well it says ".pyc"... so that seems to be okay...

> If that isn't the problem, your best bet is to keep an eye on the system.
> 'iostat' (need to install it separately on Linux, I think) and 'vmstat' can
> deliver a lot of useful info about why a task is taking so long.

I'm afraid you might be right about that... it could be the disk I/O but I'm
not sure yet... it's weird though, the previous setup had a very old disk so
I don't understand why it has become that much slower now with a much newer
disk. Oh well, at least I'm pretty sure now the real problem isn't in python
or mailman... I guess I'll need to do some more testing with the disk performance.
I don't even dare to think how much trouble qrunner might be getting with
the file access :(

Thanks for the help...

Regards,

Ricardo