[Mailman-Developers] extended address checking feature.. any thoughts?

Hubbard, Matt m.hubbard@ic.ac.uk
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 16:50:31 +0100

Hi,

Just looking over Mailman, as I intend to add in site-wide list
configuration restrictions (most notably private_roster) before using it in
service.

Anyway, I thought it would be nice if Mailman could optionally integrate
with the address checking features of exim.

"exim -bvs user@somedomain" will first rewrite the address according to it's
rule set and then check that the mail domain is valid. If the domain is
local, it will check that local part of the address is valid too.

I think it could be worth doing something with the rewritten address as that
is what the underlying MTA will do with the email address.

If exim wouldn't be able to route mail to the mail domain of a given
subscription address or perform a local delivery, then there wouldn't be
much point Mailman generating a confirmation request to it.

Does anyone else think this would be useful? Or a particularly bad idea?

On a connected matter, should Utils._badchars also contain $, %, slashes and
various forms of quote marks.

Cheers,
Matt.