[Mailman-Developers] module imports & performance

Ricardo F . Kustner ricardo@rixhq.nu
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 17:08:21 +0200

Hi,

I finally was forced to upgrade my ancient slackware/libc5/linux2.0 system
on which I'm running mailman (among other stuff) since the (old) disks were
actually about to vaporize. The rest of the hardware stayed low-end
(Pentium 90 with 64mb memory)... the new installation is running Progeny
Debian 1.0, kernel 2.2.18 and Python 1.5.2 on a fresh new disk. I've
installed mailman 2.0.5 straight from the source (package systems are great
but for some apps I still prefer to compile it myself)
Most of the components (apache,fastcgi,php and some perl scripts) don't show
any difference in performance, but it looks like the mailman python scripts
have decreased in performance dramatically... loading up a page in the
webinterface takes about 7 seconds! After some playing around with python
-i, I noticed that "from Mailman import MailList" takes about 4 seconds...
Does anybody have any idea what's going on? maybe the python binary compiled
into Debian isn't optimized enough for my system or could this be a problem
in mailman?

Regards,

Ricardo