[Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-Users] OpenBSD Trusted Path Execution (TPE) compatibility?

Jay R. Ashworth jra@baylink.com
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 16:04:03 -0400

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 09:39:57PM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> | /var/lib/mailman?  I'm not sure that's actually the proper place to put
> | such stuff; what are the assumptions for /var?
>
> from the FHS:
>
>        5.  The /var Hierarchy
>
>        /var -- Variable data
> [snip]
>        +-lib       Variable state information
> [snip]
>        5.5  /var/lib : Variable state information
>
>        /var/lib -- Variable state information
> [snip]
>        +-<package> State data for packages and subsystems
>        This hierarchy holds state information pertaining to an application or
>        the system.  State information is data that programs modify while they
>        run, and that pertains to one specific host.  Users should never need to
>        modify files in /var/lib to configure a package's operation.

Which makes my point that the mailman homedir can't be there, since it
contains code...

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink

   OS X: Because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows