[Mailman-Developers] suggestions for i18n

Dan Mick Dan Mick <dmick@utopia.west.sun.com>
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 15:36:28 -0800 (PST)

>     JR> I have a suggestion how this can be done very easily. If the
>     JR> function maketext (in Utils) had an addition parameter "list",
>     JR> it could first try to open the text file in
>     JR> mailman/list/"listname"/"lang". If the file is not there, then
>     JR> it could continue to take it from /mailman/templates/"lang" as
>     JR> you have coded it. This would mean that if the list manager
>     JR> wanted to put special messages in a list he can create them in
>     JR> the list/"listname"/"lang"/....... directory. The normal list
>     JR> manager would not notice any difference.
>
> That sounds like a good idea.

That's exactly what my "per-list template" patch, which I've been
reworking for every version since 2.0beta1, does.  I figure the
I18N stuff will completely make the patch invalid, but "first look
in the list directory" is the easy poor-man's 'list-specific'
hack.  The only problem you had with it, Barry, as I remember,
was the minor ugliness of "passing the list around to maketext".
I ended up passing list._full_name just to keep *some* of
the data abstraction in place, but was never really satisfied
with the solution.  Maybe there should be a "get list directory"
method.