[Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-Users] So all you people that wanted autoreject...(Itwas: Re: Reject non-member postings.)

Dan Mick Dan.Mick@west.sun.com
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 14:02:33 -0800

> I didn't test it yet because two reasons (correct me if I am wrong):
>
>         a) It puts the rejection mode for all the site and not on a
> list-by-list basis.

True, although of course it's only lists with "member_posting_only" set.

>         b) It conflicts with another patch to mailman (Hold.py) that we
> have here that converts the 'posters' setting into a regular expression
> (this was done to allow a members-posters-only meta-list).

Ah.  I looked for a functional interface to determine "list member", but
didn't find one; I guess the combination of patches would call for that.
The danger of customizing software; didn't know you weren't running standard
Mailman, of course.

> I think that the right way is:
>
> a) To create a setting for the lists called 'non_members_post_action' (or
> similar) with three possible values ('Hold for approval', 'Reject' and
> 'Discard').
>
> b) To incorporate this action in the present message path (maybe this
> should be the caller of Hold.py)

Well, sure, but obviously this is a lot more work.  Ah well.